Aluminum nitride is a refractory compound ceramic material with a hexagonal wurtzite structure. Pure aluminum nitride has a blue-white color, and aluminum nitride ceramics are usually gray or white.
Aluminum nitride is stable at high temperatures in inert atmospheres and melts at 2800 °C. It has high thermal conductivity and good electrical insulation properties, as well as low dielectric constant and dielectric loss. This combination of properties makes it a key advanced material for many applications in optics, lighting, electronics and renewable energy.
Aluminum nitride has a hexagonal crystal structure and is a covalent bonded material. Common methods for preparing aluminum nitride include direct nitridation, carbothermal reduction, high-energy ball milling, high-temperature self-propagating synthesis, chemical vapor deposition, and the like.
* Very high thermal conductivity (> 170 W/mK)
* High electrical insulation capacity (>1.1012Ωcm)
* Strength according to the double ring method >320 MPa (biaxial strength)
* Low thermal expansion 4 to 6×10-6K-1(between 20 and 1000°C)
* Good metallization capacity
* Dielectric layers in optical storage media；
* Electronic substrates, chip carriers where high thermal conductivity is essential；
* Military applications.
Advanced Ceramic Materials is a leading supplier of aluminum nitride ceramic products of the highest quality for a wide range of applications. We are happy to provide advice on materials, design, and application. Feel free to contact us for any questions about AlN or other ceramic materials that are not listed on the website.